by Georgiana Ifrim –
- Read the specific requirements for the event (e.g., font size, paper size, etc).
- Add your name, affiliation (top) and acknowledgement of funder (grant number, bottom).
- Create a navigation structure so it is clear in which order to read the poster.
- More visuals, less text. If you need extra info or results, provide a link or QR code.
- Print the poster in A4 format before printing in larger format, ask supervisor and colleagues to proofread, check out other example posters printed in a similar size.
- Participate in local and international poster events, practice makes perfect.
- Find out early about printing facilities, cost and timelines, so you are not surprised close to your deadline.
- Practise your poster pitch. Are you able to explain in max 3mins what the work is about? Check out https://www.darpa.mil/work-with-us/heilmeier-catechism
- Check if your funder, school or research centre requires certain branded templates to be used for posters (email centre admin or ask supervisor).
NOT TO DO
- Do not fill the poster with text or poor quality images.
- Do not print or submit without asking for feedback – more pairs of eyes are better.
- Do not forget to include contact details, so readers can follow up on your work.
- Do not just paste your paper (or most of it) into a poster format!
- Do not try to impress with complex equations and lots of technical terms, try to simplify (as much as feasible), tell a story and provide good visual examples.
Think carefully about what the objectives of your poster are. A good poster typically does three things:
- Attract poster session attendees to come over and talk to you about your work.
- Provide props (images, charts, tables, …) that will be useful while you are telling people about your work.
- Provide details about where people can find you and your paper.
Some other useful links:
- For the Latex minded: https://www.overleaf.com/gallery/tagged/poster
- Some ideas for poster layouts from best poster awards events: https://informatics.tuwien.ac.at/epilog/best-poster-award/